Do You Own a Blog? You really need to know this five (5) things
Do you own a blog, you need to read this?
Owning and maintaining a blog can be tough at times, you do need the right tool to keep the journey smooth and yes profitable. Wouldn’t you want that? I bet you do.
Here I itemized and explained five (5) things you really need to know. Let’s head to it right away.
1. Know the must have plugins.
Plugins add an extra functionality to your WordPress theme. You need to have these plugins to run a productive blog.
- Akismet Anti-spam –helping you ward off unwanted comments on your post.
- Social Share – To enable your readers share your content on their social media profiles.
- Yoast SEO – Used to optimize your visibility on Google and other search engines.
- WP-Rocket – makes your blog load a little faster.
- Contact Form 7 – enables your reader to contact you directly from the blog
- Wordfence – secures your blog from unauthorized access.
- ExactMatrics – gives you a preview of the traffic to your blog and their sources.
- Click to tweet – enables you to highlight tweetable sentences or points.
- MailChimp – to collect users’ email or phone number.
2. Know about Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO are series of little things you can do on your blog to make it show up on Google’s Search Engine Result Page (SERP) when people search for something related to your blog post. Before writing your blog post, you need to do a keyword research.
Keywords are words or most at times short sentences that Google searchers search for. Click To Tweet
Know this: What question are Google searchers searching for around the topic of your blog post? Let the keyword reflect on your post title, headings, subheadings, image description and ‘alt’, etc. Use the Yoast SEO to accomplish this.
3. Know that Content is still king
Let your write up (content) be relevant to your audience. That’s a must. Curate your content with the searchers’ question in mind. That is, let your content be somewhat an answer to those questions.
Also consider readability, structure your content one idea per block. If it’s a list make sure you boldly itemize them with number bullets just like I did in this post. Use the square list for sub lists. Endeavour to link to other posts on your blog that are relevant to the reader so they can stay longer on your blog.
4. Know how to utilize Social Media
Social media is where most of your readers are, so utilize this free tool to it’s fullest. Have social media profiles with your blog’s name. Let the bio be the same with that of your about page on your blog.
Always post valuable and original content. When sharing a blog post on your social media profile, always write at most three (3) sentences for the intro so your followers can have a clue of what to expect when they click on it. When not sharing a link, design something cool and brand it with your logo then upload with at least five (5) sentences and at most ten (10) sentences. Be engaging, always reply to comments.
5. Know how to collect Email and/or Phone Number
You wouldn’t want to lose your chances with a person that comes to your shop. Even if he didn’t buy anything, you will want them to come check back when you have a new stock. You will need an opt-in form to collect your visitors’ email or phone number, that way you can notify them of new posts or to just check them out to see how they are faring. This way you build good rapport with them.
To achieve this, install an email marketing plugin like – MailChimp or the likes. When installed, setup a pop – up form to collect name, email and phone of your visitors.
Now that you have read and know this, go back to your blog and Do It Yourself.
Need help or you have a topic you want me to write on, email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp on 07062410160.
Till then, LOVE YOU.